Sunday 11 January 2015

Michael Jordan's top 50 quotes about basketball, teamwork and more

Introduction :

Michael Jeffrey Jordan (born February 17, 1963), also known by his initials, MJ, is an American former professional basketball player, entrepreneur, and principal owner and chairman of the Charlotte Hornets. His biography on the NBA website states: "By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time." Jordan was one of the most effectively marketed athletes of his generation and was considered instrumental in popularizing the NBA around the world in the 1980s and 1990s.

Popular quotes :

  1. " I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
  2. “What is love? Love is playing every game as if it's your last!”
  3. "If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
  4. I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
  5. My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.
  6. "The game of basketball has been everything to me. My place of refuge, place I've always gone where I needed comfort and peace. It's been the site of intense pain and the most intense feelings of joy and satisfaction. It's a relationship that has evolved over time, given me the greatest respect and love for the game."
  7. Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.
  8. Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
  9. Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.
  10. If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome.
  11. The game has its ups and downs, but you can never lose focus of your individual goals and you can't let yourself be beat because of lack of effort.
  12. Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.
  13. To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don't isolate.
  14. Never say never, because, limits, like fear, is often an illusion.
  15. Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation.
  16. Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's truly about the game, and in some ways that's about life too.
  17. My father used to say that it's never too late to do anything you wanted to do. And he said, 'You never know what you can accomplish until you try.'
  18. I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come.
  19. You have competition every day because you set such high standards for yourself that you have to go out every day and live up to that.
  20. There is no such thing as a perfect basketball player, and I don't believe there is only one greatest player either.
  21. I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win.
  22. It's a heavy duty to try to do everything and please everybody. My job was to go out there and play the game of basketball as best I can and provide entertainment for everyone who wanted to watch basketball. Obviously, people may not agree with that; again, I can't live with what everyone's impression of what I should or what I shouldn't do.
  23. I hope the millions of people I've touched have the optimism and desire to share their goals and hard work and persevere with a positive attitude.
  24. My heroes are and were my parents. I can't see having anyone else as my heroes.
  25. "We all fly. Once you leave the ground, you fly. Some people fly longer than others."
  26. Sometimes, things may not go your way, but the effort should be there every single night.
  27. You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.
  28. In college I never realized the opportunities available to a pro athlete. I've been given the chance to meet all kinds of people, to travel and expand my financial capabilities, to get ideas and learn about life, to create a world apart from basketball.
  29. When I lose the sense of motivation and the sense to prove something as a basketball player, it's time for me to move away from the game.
  30. I want people to understand, gambling is not a bad thing if you do it within the framework of what it's meant to be, which is fun and entertaining.
  31. When I was young, I had to learn the fundamentals of basketball. You can have all the physical ability in the world, but you still have to know the fundamentals.
  32. I want to wake up every day and do whatever comes in my mind, and not feel pressure or obligations to do anything else in my life.
  33. The best evaluation I can make of a player is to look in his eyes and see how scared they are.
  34. The game is my wife. It demands loyalty and responsibility, and it gives me back fulfillment and peace.
  35. I believe greatness is an evolutionary process that changes and evolves era to era.
  36. My body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn't stand the sideline.
  37. Sometimes you need to get hit in the head to realize that you're in a fight.
  38. I'm not a Twitterer, I'm not a twerker, I'm not a Facebooker, I'm not nothing. I'm old school.
  39. “You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.”
  40. “My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.”
  41. “Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”
  42. “I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.”
  43. “If you quit ONCE it becomes a habit.Never quit!!!”
  44. Everybody has talent, but ability takes hard work.
  45. To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail.
  46. “If you do the work you get rewarded. There are no shortcuts in life.”
  47. “Once I made a decision, I never thought about it again.”
  48. The minute you get away from fundamentals, whether its proper technique, work ethic or mental preparation, the bottom can fall out your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you're doing.
  49. “The basketball court for me, during a game, is the most peaceful place I can imagine. On the basketball court, I worry about nothing. When I'm out there, no one can bother me.”
  50. “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.”
  51. “Learning 's a gift, even when pain's your teacher!”
  52. “As athletes, we're used to reacting quickly. Here, it's 'come, stop, come, stop.' There's a lot of downtime. That's the toughest part of the day. ”
Sometimes, one share is enough to motivate others. Thanks for reading.